|It's that time again -- Gotta move to a new host|
June 27, 2020
The website will be going down at 11am Pacific Daylight Time on Tuesday (June 30). It will (hopefully) be back up within an hour. During that time I will be moving the website from Amazon Web Services (AWS) to Digital Ocean.
That's the most important part of this message, but if you'd like to know more, keep reading.
When we were having lots of crashes after Modwest was sold, I finally decided we needed to get off the platform of the new owner. So I chose AWS because it had a great reputation for stability. I found it was very complicated to configure and spent weeks working it out and making hundreds of changes to the code to make it work in the new environment. But finally we moved there and it has been working great ever since.
So why are we moving again?
I did not know how much it was going to cost to host it on AWS when I moved it there. Their cost structure is as complicated as their services so I just moved it and hoped for the best. I was shocked soon after the move to discover the cost of running the website went from $25 per month to $150 per month on AWS. Naturally I wasn't very pleased about that but I decided to bite the financial bullet and hope it got better.
It didn't. It has remained around $150 every month since the move.
Then someone told me about Digital Ocean. It also has a great reputation for stability and is a lot cheaper than AWS. It looks like it will cost about $40 per month to run it there. Once I got familiar with the new environment at Digital Ocean, it only took me about four days to get a development version of the website up and running there.
I think I have ironed out all the chinks that always arise in a new environment. Everything seems to be working fine there. Well, at least as fine as it is here. I know there are a few bugs you can hit in the forums. (Have you tried to do a search in the forums? It doesn't work and I don't know how to fix that. It isn't going to work after the move either.) I'll do some more testing before Tuesday to make sure nothing new has broken. But I'm pretty sure right now that it will be fine to move that morning.
Wish me luck!